Focused management of breeding is essential to achieve top fertility results.
AHDB Dairy have found block calving herds who calve 90% of their cows in the first 6 weeks of calving outperform those with longer calving periods. Achieving this requires planning and focus.
Remember, a tight block allows cows longer recovery time post calving (before next mating), more days in milk, calves of closer age groups, and can reduce the effect of human fatigue at the tail end of calving.
Join AHDB Dairy and nationally recognised veterinary expert Kate Burnby to discuss pre-mating planning, how to set up for a successful 2018 season and how to ensure good non-return rates.
The content will include:
• Setting and hitting ambitious targets
• Pre-mating checks – when and what to look for?
• Nutrition, health and Body Condition Scoring
• Heat detection techniques, tools and AI protocols
• Heifer synchronisation – is it cost effective? Should we consider sexed semen?
• What to do with non-cyclers
• Bull MOTs – firing on all cylinders or just firing blanks?
Who should attend: This workshop is aimed at all farmers and farm staff with a responsibility for heat detection and service.
Date: Monday 9 April 2018
Time: 11:00-14:30 (lunch provided)
Venue: Nant y Ffin, Llandissilio, Clynderwen, SA66 7SU
Please RSVP for catering purposes to:
Jamie McCoy – 07823 790440 / Jamie.McCoy@ahdb.org.uk OR
Abby James – 07399 970 988 / email@example.com
Dairy Pro Points are available for attending this event, Click here for more details.